This is available for Graders.
You can write explanations that are sent to candidates after grading is finalized.
In this guide, we will describe how you can see if the candidate has requested an explanation, how you write the explanation, and who can send the finished explanation.
This guide consists of four parts.
- Overview of the workspace Explanations
- How you can see if the candidate has requested an explanation
- Write and record explanations
- Send explanations
Overview for the explanation page
To write explanations, start by going to the Explanations workspace.
The explanation page window has the following content:
- Candidate list
- Question view
- Explanations and private notes
The footer is also available, and you can use this to navigate between candidates and questions in the same way as in the workspace Marking.
Has the candidate requested an explanation?
In the candidate overview (1) there is a column called Explanation request. This will tell you if the candidate has requested an explanation or not. There are three different statuses available in this column:
- Not set: This means that the planner doesn't administrate explanations for this test, and you as a grader are responsible for both writing and sending the explanation.
- Requested: The candidate has requested an explanation and the planner will follow up on the explanation process. The planner can also send explanations on behalf of the graders.
- Not requested: This means that the candidate hasn't requested an explanation.
You can also see whether or not the candidate has requested an explanation in the explanation window (3).
You write the explanation in the window to the right. The explanation can be written at any time in the grading process, you don't need to wait for a candidate to request an explanation.
There are several possibilities when writing explanations, we will go through them step by step.
- This is where you can see the candidate identifier.
- Formatting alternatives for the text.
- This is where you write the explanation.
- This is where you record your explanation.
- If you would like to add a file to the explanation, here is where you attach it. It will be available for the candidate together with the explanation. Any file type can be attached.
- Add private notes: All private notes from all questions will be added to the explanation field by pushing this button.
- Save the explanation.
For more information about recording explanations see the article Record audio feedback in explanation of grades.
You can send the explanation when the following requirements are fulfilled:
- The candidate must have a confirmed final grade.
- The planner has allowed graders to send explanations
If the explanations are not administrated by the planner, this is what it will look like when the explanation is ready to be sent:
If the explanations are administrated by the planner you will have a different view, with two buttons. One to mark the explanation ready to send, and one to send the explanation.
The planner will not be able to send explanations before you have marked it as ready.