This feature is available for Authors and Planners
Table of Contents
- Enable note taking and highlighting in Design settings
- How does it look for the candidate?
The note taking and highlighting feature allows candidates to highlight text and make notes during a test. The notes and highlights will only be visible during the test, not after submission, and will not be visible for anyone else but the candidate who made the notes.
Enable note taking and highlighting in Design settings
- Begin by creating a test under the Deliver module.
- When you're finished with your test setup move onto the Design settings.
- Click Enable Notes (Beta)
- You may test this feature to see what the student sees by highlighting some text in the design preview. A text box with the message Annotate and Highlight will appear.
How does it look for the candidate?
It is possible to highlight and take notes in the question or stimulus.
It is NOT possible to highlight and take notes on the following features:
interaction elements (such as draggable options in a drag and drop interaction and prompt)
- In order to highlight text, the candidate first needs to mark some text and then click Highlight text.
- The marked text will then be highlighted in yellow and is automatically saved.
To navigate between highlights, click anywhere within the note box (1), and the highlighted text it pertains to will indicate itself by turning from yellow to blue (2). Alternatively, you can click on the highlighted text and the note box it pertains to will turn from white to blue.
- Highlights can be deleted by opening the note panel to the right (1), and clicking (2) Delete and then Confirm deleting.
- Notes are private. They are completely hidden from planners, graders and invigilators at all times
- Notes are only available during the test. Not after the student has submitted , unless opened for resubmission.
- In group exams, notes are visible / shared between members of the group
- Text in PDF panels, additional resources, equations and media can not be annotated
- Notes should not be enabled in tests where restricted navigation rules apply (Navigate back prohibited, Navigation footer hidden)
- In order to make notes, the candidate first needs to mark some text and click New note. Notes will be automatically saved.
- The marked text will be highlighted in yellow, and a note panel will automatically appear on the right side of the screen. The candidate can then write a note in the box.
- To navigate between notes, click anywhere within the note box (1), and the text it pertains to will indicate itself by turning from yellow to blue (2). Alternatively, you can click on the highlighted text and the note box it pertains to will turn from white to blue.
- The candidate can add more notes after one note is saved. The notes can also be edited by clicking Delete and then Confirm Deleting.
- To close the notes panel, click on the cross (1) to the upper right (see image below). To hide the yellow highlights on the page, click on the eye icon (2).
- In order to show the notes panel, click on any marked text in the question or stimulus, or the notes symbol to the upper right.
View own submission - notes are not there
View submission as invigilator - notes are not there
Open for resubmission - notes are there
- Not supported for highlighting math equations (this is not blocked, but will not work well).
- Highlights may be delayed if highlighting math input fields.
- Should not be used for tests where navigation is disabled for candidates, as they will able to navigate back and forth through the test to view their highlights and notes.
- Note taking and highlighting is not supported with branching tests, and should not be activated on these types of tests.