Available for Grader
The commenting tool allows graders to post Annotations and Page Notes (general comments), to students and co-graders. The purpose is to improve the user experience and speed for giving feedback. It also provides:
- Post general comments on student answers (Page notes)
- Post comments to students or co-graders
- Reply to comments from co-graders
- Include mathematical notation in comments (LaTex)
- Make draft comments (Post to Only me)
- Search comments and use Markdown for faster text formatting
The annotation tool can be used on all question types in Inspera Assessment. However, for the file upload question type the only supported format for annotations is PDF.
Introduction to the comment tool
1. When grading a submission, click on the Comments tab. To see in full-screen mode (recommended), click on the expand icon on the top-right corner and use the minimize icon to exit
2. To write Annotations, select the text to be annotated and then click Annotate. Use the Highlight option for personal purposes, for example, as a reminder. Highlights will not be shared with the student.
3. Write your annotation in the text box. Text formatting options are available, as well as support for LaTeX.
4. Click on the selector at the top of the panel (Student by default) to select who the comment will be shared with. Once the comment has been posted to one group, it is not possible to change to the other one. So it is important to select the right one (between Student and Co-graders) before it is posted. To make the comment private, click on the arrow next to the Post to Student button and select Only Me.
5. Once you are happy with your comment and you have selected the correct recipient, make sure to save your comment by clicking the post to-button
5. After posting, use the buttons on the bottom-right corner of the comment box to edit or delete your own comments, or to reply to comments.
6. To make a general comment that is not linked to a specific point in the submission, click the Page Notes icon on the left side of the comment box.
Overview of the different options
1. Toggle highlights: click this to show/hide all highlights in the text.
2. New Page Note: creates a Page Notes where graders can write a general comment that is not linked to a specific point in the submission.
3. Show annotations: the number indicates how many annotations the current text area includes. If you click it, the annotated area will be highlighted
4. Filter the annotation list: search for a specific comment
5. Sort comments: sort the comments in chronological order or by text location
6. Link to help resources
The comments will be shared with students when the grading is completed. The students will have a similar view as the grader has, with the important difference that the student cannot add or reply to comments.
Questions and answers:
Q: Can I add comments after the grading is finished?
A: Yes, new comments can be added and even shared with students after the grading is finished. The students will however not be notified of new comments.
Q: Can I download or print my comments?
A: No, they are only available in Inspera. This applies to both student and grader.
Q: For how long will the comments be available?
A: Student submissions will as a general rule be saved for two years. After two years the submission may permanently be removed from the system - along with any comments.
Q: My student has uploaded a Word file, can I still comment the same way?
A: No, for the file upload question, the only supported format is PDF.