This is available for Administrators.
You can import from a CSV file to create new Admin users or Organization hierarchies within Inspera Assessment.
- Important steps before creating a CSV file
- How to create a CSV file for importing users
- How to create a CSV file for importing Organization hierarchy
- How to import a CSV file into Inspera
Important steps before creating a CSV file
Before you import a CSV, the first step is to create a CSV file. Here is an important list of things to keep in mind when creating a CSV file:
- The column fields that need to be populated within a CSV file will differ from institution to institution. You can see which fields apply to your CSV file by navigating to:
- Settings > User Administration
- Options > Import from CSV
- The file must contain the following fields in the order that is listed.
- The file must be UTF-8 formatted so that special characters and letters can be imported correctly.
- The file must be separated by commas, not semicolons.
- You cannot mix different users with different user roles in a file, so you will need to create a file for administrators or one for graders. You can however select two roles, for example, both grader and author.
- Do not include a heading in the columns.
- The maximum number of lines in the file is 250.
How to create a CSV file for importing users
- Create a Google Sheet.
- Populate each column with the relevant fields that pertain to your institution. You can find out which fields are relevant to your institution by referring back to Step 1 in Important steps before creating a CSV file.
- Name the file an appropriate name.
- Download as a Comma-Separated Values (CSV) file by going to File >Download > Comma-Separated Values
In this example, the 3 columns you will need to create are First Name, Last Name, and Email.
The file must contain the following fields in the order that is listed. Following our example above, the columns would be in the order of:
- First Name
- Last Name
Using a Microsoft Excel file
Using UTF-8 ensures that any special characters (æ, ø, å, ö, ä) display correctly. Microsoft Excel may use a different encoding that is not UTF-8 encoded, even if you choose to save the file as a CSV. If you choose to use an Excel file, you will need to upload it to Google Drive and open it as a Google Spreadsheet. After that, follow the steps in How to create a CSV file for importing users.
Using other editors
You can also use other editors such as OpenOffice, Notepad, or TextEdit to create CSV files. Remember that it is important that the file is formatted correctly before importing it into the Inspera Assessment.
How to create a CSV file for importing Organization hierarchy
If your institution uses organizational units in Inspera Assessment, memberships can be imported along with the user. The specific format of a hierarchy in the CSV will be:
First Name, Last Name, Email, OrgLevel1|OrgLevel2|OrgLevel3, SSO user name
If the SSO user name in the CSV matches the SSO user name of an existing user, the existing user will be updated with the contents in the CSV file.
Any existing memberships will not be removed even if they are not included in the import file. User roles will not be updated.
How to import a CSV file into Inspera
Once you have created your CSV file, it is time to import it into Inspera.
- In the upper right corner, click Settings > User Administration
- Within the User page, click Options > Import from CSV
- Click Select CSV file and select your file. The correct file format will be displayed, including which fields the file must contain and in what order.
- Once you have selected the file, you will be able to confirm which schools and roles you want to associate the imported users with.
- Select school/schools- If the school is not on the list, you must have entered the school name in the CSV file to add that school.
- Select roles that the imported users should have after the import.
- When the import is complete, the number of imported users, non-imported users (errors / formatted), and users who were already in place in the system are displayed in a summary.
- When the upload is complete and you have selected the appropriate roles, click the Create user(s) from CSV.
Remember these limitations:
- The maximum number of lines is 250 per file.
- You cannot change roles on existing users via CSV file.
- You cannot use a CSV file if you have more than one SSO integration.
- You cannot mix different roles in a file.
- You cannot have a heading in the columns.