This is available for Administrators.
You can add Inspera as an external tool within Canvas. The current setup in each VLEs varies slightly but consists of the same basic steps. The following gives information regarding Canvas. For information about other VLEs, please contact Inspera for further details.
Inspera currently has to be added as an App to the VLE account. This is a one-time process and will require contacting Inspera to provide a Client Key and Shared Secret. Inspera can then be added as an app for all users or a specific module only.
The first step in all instances is to make a request to Inspera for the Client Key and Shared Secret for your specific Inspera instance. After receiving the Client Key and Shared Secret from Inspera, you can begin setup within the VLE by going to the settings and adding Inspera as an external app.
How to add Inspera to Canvas as a site-wide tool
1. Navigate to the Settings section of a course > Apps tab > + App.
(If you can not see the +APP button, then click ‘View App Configurations’ in the top right corner).
2. Configure your Inspera App
- Configuration Type: Manual Entry
- Name: You can decide the name for your own internal reference
- Consumer Key and Shared Secret: To be provided by Inspera
- Launch URL: The Launch URL should be the URL set up for your institution followed by /ltiaccess
- Privacy: Selecting Public will allow IA access to full personal information on candidate users on the selected course and remove candidate anonymity within IA. This may be the preferred way of doing formative assessments in the VLE, but not for end-of-year summative assessments. In that case select Anonymous.
- Description: You can decide the description for your own internal reference
Click Submit to add the App.
Workflows and practical steps
Teacher: How to create an Inspera assessment in Canvas
1. A teacher can add an Inspera assignment/test as a new item under either the Modules or the Assignments tab of Inspera.
2. Add a new item and select Add External Tool from the drop-down menu.
3. Select the relevant instance of Inspera Assessment. This will populate the URL and page name. Inspera recommends selecting to load in a new tab for an optimized user experience. When ready, select Add item.
4. A new item will now appear. Clicking on the item will take the user into Inspera, either through an embedded window or through a link as shown below.
Clicking this link will direct the Canvas teacher directly to that corresponding assignment within Inspera. If the Canvas teacher has not used Inspera before, then a new Inspera user will be created in Inspera. The teacher will receive the user roles of Author Planner, Grader, Reporter and will be able to be added as a user to other tests in those capacities. For subsequent tests, the teacher will log in again as the same Inspera user. This will allow the teacher to reuse questions from previous tests within new assignments. Inpsera recommends creating the exam papers in advance of setting up the assessment.
The teacher can complete the entire exam creation process within Inspera and activate the test, before navigating back to Canvas. The teacher can choose if the assignment they have created should be assigned to all or some of the candidates enrolled in that Course by using the Canvas settings.
The Teacher will be able to use the Inspera Monitor tool to live monitor and interact with candidates when they login to the test.
Candidate: How to access an Inspera assignment through Canvas
All candidates who have been assigned to an Inspera assignment within Canvas will be able to view this item within their Course page as long as it has been published by the teacher. When the exam is live, the candidate will be able to select the assessment and will be automatically logged into Inspera upon doing so. The student will instantly be assigned as a participant on that specific test.
For optimal test-taking experience and ease of use, we recommend that the exam is set up to open in a new window.