Available for Planner and Planners with extended access.
The purpose of templates is to speed up the test creation workflow. By using templates, new tests can be created with a few clicks. Once created, tests created from templates behave like any other test in Inspera Assessment. Any property of a test can be included in a template, so it is automatically defined in new tests created from the template.
Only planners with Extended access can create, edit and share templates.
Templates are created based on an existing test. Open or create a new test in Deliver and then click 'Save as Template' on top right corner.
The "Edit Template" action is found in the dropdown menu in the Create button.
In addition to the various test configurations, the following properties can be set in a template:
- Template name
- Template description
- Default sync (learn more below)
- Questions and settings (learn more below)
- Passwords (learn more below)
- Default workflow for planners
Sharing a template makes it visible to all regular planners on the account. These planners are then allowed to create new tests from template, but cannot edit or archive it.
Templates are private by default, only visible to you and other users with extended access.
Default sync can be changed when editing the template.
Any fields pre-populated in the template (candidates, start time, etc), will automatically be replaced by information synced from the external system.
Questions and settings
Questions and settings defines what happens when new tests are created from a template that includes a question set. Here we have used a question set named "Automatically marked":
- Include, do not allow editing question and settings: Use the same question set as defined in template. All test settings are locked for editing by the planner, with a few exceptions:
- The planner can change test title, start and end time, make changes to contributors, and add candidates.
- Include, allow editing question and settings: Use the same question set as defined in the template. Planner can edit all test settings and questions in the question set.
- Duplicate. Allows editing: Automatically make a copy of the question set defined in the template. Planner can edit all settings.
- Leave empty - Planners required to create or add questions: Do not include the question set in new tests created from the template, the planner will add/create question set.
Behaviour of passwords in templates
For security purposes, template owners are able to configure how passwords in templates are defined in new tests created from template:
Generate new (recommended). Use this option if you want new, unique passwords to be generated automatically when creating new test from the template.
Include from template. Use this option if you want new tests to reuse passwords defined in the template.
Default planner workflow
Templates can also define the workflow for settings in new tests.
All settings are available for the planner.
Author mode (requires that the planner also has the author role on their user):
This allows the planner to create questions on the fly as the second step of the test creation process. The planner can add new questions or add an existing question set and edit the contents.
This will hide most of the settings on the test, because they are most likely part of the template already and the planner doesn't have to change them. Available settings are test name, start time, end time, and duration, as well as question set and candidate list.
If desired, contributors (authors, invigilators, planners, graders) can also be saved as part of templates. Please note:
- Template creators are automatically added as planners to new tests
- Graders in templates are automatically replaced by any new graders synced from external systems