Automatically marked question.
The question is answered by typing a word or a short sentence.
Text Entry is a question type where the candidates can answer the question by filling in a word or a short sentence in a blank field. The field can be placed at the beginning, in the middle or at the end of the question text.
In the question's edit mode, you can do the following:
1. Replace text with desired question text.
2. Add math (LaTeX), files, tables, links, PDF, images and / or audio clips to the question text.
3. Insert more interaction elements by pressing +Insert.
4. Set general options for the question type. Read more about general options for questions.
- Marks: See Question scoring - Basic and Question scoring - Advanced.
5. Selecting advanced settings.
- Allow unique responses only - This applies to questions with more than one question element. The purpose is to avoid awarding too many marks when a correct answer is repeated in the question elements
Example: A question asks for the four largest cities in Norway. The candidate shall input each answer in a separate text entry element, and all four cities are defined as correct answer on all four text entry elements. If the candidate inputs "Oslo" in all four text entry elements, they will get marks for correct answer on all four. With this option enabled, the candidate will get only one correct answer if they input "Oslo" in all four text entry elements, because duplicate entries are ignored.
The setting is available at the question level.
By pressing the interaction element (text box) gives you the specific options for the question type.
1. Correct answers
Write the correct answer in the text box. The answer can contain both numbers and text (maximum 50 characters, including spaces). Avoid using too many words because a single misplaced character in the candidates' answer will make the answer wrong.
For questions that require longer answers, consider using the question type Text Area.
- Case sensitive: by enabling this, the automatic scoring mechanism will only mark the answer as correct if it matches the solution perfectly. If the answer is "task", then "Task" will not be considered correct.
- Ignore whitespace: If enabled, this option will remove the whitespace characters (" ") from the candidates' answer before comparing it with the correct answer.
- Expand input field automatically: The specified text box will expand automatically when the candidate types more than the expected length of the text box. Note that this option cannot be combined with "Restrict number of characters to input width".
- Restrict number of characters to input width: This sets the maximum number of characters the candidate can type to be the same length as the field width. A warning will appear if the length is shorter than the length of the correct answer. The question cannot be saved unless this is correct.
- Expected length (characters): This specifies the width of the specified text box. Predefined as 20 characters.
3. External identifier
For information on external identifier, read general options for questions.